If you still need help from Archives staff, you can call, email, or submit a question to us at any time. We can work with you over the phone or via email to assist you with research requests and help you find information you need without setting up an appointment.
However, archival collections and biographical files are housed in our closed stacks and can only be retrieved by Archives staff. If you need to access these materials, you must make an in-person appointment with our team.
Items you can only access via appointment include:
- Any materials stored in the Archives vault. This includes all manuscript collections, rare books, and many maps.
- Biographical and Site files.
- If you are unsure whether something is available in the Reading Room or not, please reach out to us to check!
Please keep the following in mind when scheduling an appointment with ALH staff:
- Plan ahead. Appointments must be made at least one day in advance to allow our staff to prepare for and accommodate your request.
- Appointments are available on weekdays, Monday-Friday, from 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
- ALH staff are available for 30-minute appointments. However, you may stay in the Reading Room after your appointment and complete research or work on your own if needed.
- Please be on time. There is a 10-minute window for arrival; if you don’t arrive within those 10 minutes your appointment will be canceled. We are spacing out appointments in our small Reading Room and cannot accommodate two appointments at once. Please be timely.
- Please wear a mask and respect social distancing guidelines during your appointment.